Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Remix


So many amazing events have taken place since I last blogged. I blame my absence from Bloggerland on two things: 1) Time. The holiday season seems like such a whirlwind. November and December were FILLED with good times all around, but I never sat down to write about the memories. 2) Blogger-Anxiety. Yes, I made this disease up and yes, I'm diagnosing myself with it. Numerous times have I found a cozy place, sipped a cup of hot tea, opened my laptop with the intention of blogging, but just couldn't transpose the thoughts in my head to words on my screen. Word. phobia.

Today is a snowday; a very unexpected, but entirely gracious, one at that! So... I am taking a break from grading papers (let's not get on that diversion), pushing away my word phobia, and writing...



The Christmas season seemed to peek its head around the corner and then throw itself into full action without a chance to ask questions. The weeks leading up to Christmas Day were filled to the max (literally, not one free evening) with festivities such as:

Welcoming the season by decorating my house as a whimsical Christmas Wonderland
Decorating other friends' homes & apartments in Christmas attire
Visiting Nashville's Christmas Village, but only to realize, "I can make that!" Then returning home to see if my craftiness was up to the task
Nashville Christmas parade
Christmas cookie decorating (but not eating...long story)
Faculty Christmas party
Practices and rehearsals to play Mrs. Claus in our school's winter chorus concert AND narrator for our school's band winter concert
Small group Ugly Christmas Sweater party
Wrapping gifts for families in need
PA's Reality Tour (BCN teens dancing on a party bus, checking out Opryland Hotel's lights, guided by Pastor Allen himself)
Special visit from my mama
My Grandmother's surprise 85th birthday party (with all the fam in town!!)
Faux Christmas Morning party at mi casa (complete with breakfast foods of all kinds and games providing ridiculous laughter)
Being infected with a 48 hour flu...gross.
Missing holiday festivities with my students because I was sick! :(
DG's Christmas in July get-together
Preparing for the long 12-hour drive to B-town
Departing Nash early, providing the ultimate surprise for my family in Florida!

Whew! It was a hectic season, fo sho. But also a season to be thankful for times such as those; for friends and family, and this season in our lives where we are all able to be together.

Christmas has always been my FAVORITE time of year! A time full of fun, love, and almost a sense of magic. However, this year, in spite of all the festivities, I was challenged with a burning question: What is the meaning of all of this? What is it all for?

Truthfully, this question began sneaking up on me in high school, but every year I push the question down, afraid to face reality in answering it. This past year, I asked God to help me answer this question.

All I can say is, the "feeling" or "emotions" that we embrace more naturally during the Christmas season should not be limited to revealing themselves only during this time of year. Everyday we should show our love for our friends and family. Everyday we should look for ways to extend grace and help those in need. Everyday we should spend time lavishing "thanks" upon our God, for sending His son to earth because His love for us is so immense.

At the end of a crazy busy, but entirely wonderful, Christmas season, these are the thoughts inscribed on my heart.

Spread His love. Everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment