Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Healthier Version of a Classic Fave

SO, the year is 2011 and I'm 24 years old. Say what?!?!?! Anywho, I've come to the realization that since I'm not an 8 year old schoolgirl, my baby fat is just not cute anymore. Further past the "cute" factor that chubbiness is seriously missing out on, it's hitting me that my health no longer just effects me...it can potentially effect my future family. To begin this new chapter of life, I am making some life changes. I use this phrase rather than "diet"; I am not merely restricting myself from fatty, greasy, carb-loaded, coma-inducing foods. Rather, I am changing the way I do this life thing- eating healthier (and reducing insulin intake) exercising (correctly for the first time in my life, thanks to Emily the trainer), and etc. All I can say is... I feel GREAT! And you all better be ready for the hott photos that will ensue as time goes on.

Blah, blah, blah... Now to the good stuff...

Homemade lasagna is a recipe I've been dying to try in my own kitchen! And with the overload of snow days Metro has been given (let's not get on THAT subject), I made it a "snowday goal". Since initiating this life change, however, I was on a mission to tackle 2 goals: 1) make homemade lasagna for the first time, and not have it rolling off the plate. 2) Creating a low cal, low fat lasagna recipe that would still be full of flavor.

Ladies and Gentlemen...I did it!

After combining a few online recipes, here is my own rendition of:

Low Cal, Low Fat Lasagna Recipe


1 lb. whole-grain lasagna noodles

Meat Sauce:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 (14 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes
2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
1 c. water
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
Dash of garlic powder, garlic salt, salt & pepper

Filling:
2 2/3 cup low fat cottage cheese
4 oz. Parmesan cheese
6 oz. low fat Mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

So delish! Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy Mal!!! I will have to try it! Good for you on the "changes" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallory, you are already one of the most beautiful ladies that I know, so WATCH out boys!

    ReplyDelete