Monday, July 4, 2011

Palms

Psalm 139:1-4
"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord."

I don't know about you, but the above verse is rather scary to me... especially that last line about knowing what I want to say before I even speak the words. (So sometimes I have a mouth, okay?)

This verse makes us completely... exposed. The good and the bad. Strengths and weaknesses. Honesty and false statements. Joy and heartache. My Father knows it all.

("Is this really a good thing?" I wonder...)

However, the next part of the passage completely blows my mind.

Verses 5-6
"You hem me in- behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain."

My pastor used this passage in his message yesterday, and I had to revisit it when I woke up this morning. He created a visual image of what this passage is depicting:

When one holds something of ownership, one will lay out his hand flat out and merely support the object. However, when one holds something of worth/value, one will support the object with one hand but also use the other hand to cover the object; for protection, for safety.

The beginning of Psalm 139 leaves me vulnerable and exposed. If I didn't know my God, I would be fearful in the realization that He knows even my innermost thoughts. However, the next couple verses remind me that God not only is my Father, but He loves me! Not the kind of love I exhibit for say, ice-cream; but He loves me with a love that is inconceivable to humans.

Despite my weaknesses, my faults, my sins...He embraces me in the palm of His hands, displaying His love for, pride in, protection over me. And you!

I know one thing... I can't be reminded of this Love enough. What a great way to start the day today- just reveling in this Perfect Love and overflowing with thanks to the Giver of this Love!


1 comment:

  1. Wow this is powerful baby! You must have been in my prayer time this morning because the words you wrote are in my journal! The Holy Spirit never contridicts himself amen! I love you baby.

    Jonathan Jair

    ReplyDelete